Audio

Saturday 12 July 2014

World Cup Final Prognostications

Hey all,

This is a total divergence from my usual subject matter, but humour me. (Part of me wonders if the blog will receive an obscene number of hits simply because the phrase "world cup final" is included.)

I'm a huge soccer/football fan, as many of you who know me personally would attest to this. I watched my favourites England stuff it up...with that being a such a regular feat I'm used to the process of picking another team to cheer for. This year it was Germany, and I'm elated they're in the final after thumping Brazil (I really don't fancy Brazil much, especially this year's rendition).

Straight up, I think Germany v. Argentina should be a stellar match. I see Germany winning in regular time with some stout defense from the white and blue. Do I think Argentina have a chance this? Certainly. But Messi will have to play out of his mind and keep Germany on the back foot all game. A few key points:

1. Messi v. German midfield - Whether it's Khedira or Schweinsteiger, whoever gets the best of this matchup should win the day. I can't imagine Germany leaving their fullbacks alone with Messi, so I expect one of Khedira or Schweini to help out Lahm and co. at the back.

2. Mascherano v. Kroos - Masch was amazing against the Dutch, playing with a concussion and then literally busting his butt saving a goal late against Robben. He'll have to do the same against Kroos particularly, as he's been in some serious form the last couple matches. I'd say Masch might the get the better of Kroos, but he's not the only German attacker to worry about...

3. Mueller/Ozil v. Zabaleta/Rojo - I imagine Rojo should take care of Ozil defensively, but the matchup between Zabaleta and Mueller is a tasty one, and I think Mueller shades it. That could be Argentina's undoing because Mueller has been fantastic at yet another World Cup. It's astounding I haven't heard of any Premier League teams cueing up for him (namely my Liverpool who just sold their "biter"). You'll see him back defensively a bit as well, perhaps assisting with Messi.

4. The first goal - Argentina haven't played from behind this tournament and while that is impressive, they may have to this time around. If Germany go ahead early, you'll see the lethal German counter attack consistently. That is really bad news for the Argentines because a) Demichelis isn't very quick and b) Germany's counter is. If the reverse happens and Argentina get the first goal, I think it goes better for them but I think the Germans still win. They're pragmatic enough to avoid getting smacked on the counter while chasing a goal.

Prediction: Germany 3, Argentina 1. Mueller (2) and Klose, Messi

Golden Boot: Mueller
Golden Ball: Mueller

No comments:

Post a Comment